Coat with a Silver Lining

Vogue 8346, view D

I just realized this coat is 100% British! (except for its maker, of course). I bought the wool-mohair-alpaca-nylon mix in the fabric shop nearby, and the silk lining with Melissa and Anwen; the self-cover buttons and shoulder pads came from sewessential.co.uk, who ship super fast – I received my package the day after I ordered.

The lining is white with silver arabesques. I’ll take a close-up shot later. Melissa, you’re damn right – silk-lined pockets are such a tactile treat for a fabric lover.

I don’t have much to say about the pattern, really – except that Vogue 8346 was exactly the design I was after: a classic winter coat with princess seams. The instructions were great. This pattern is a winner.
For reference, I made view D, but cut the hem at view B to have the same length as pictured in view D, because I’m so short.
I cut the front pieces in a size 10 and the back pieces in a size 8; I wanted the ability to wear the coat with 3 layers underneath (including a thick jumper, as in these pictures), so I made it a bit larger than usual.

(you can see a bit of the lining peeking from inside the pocket)

The overall construction went fast, but the hand finishing (snaps, buttons, sleeves, and one very long hem) took forever! I’m so glad I’m done; I have a feeling this coat will be worn to death. I love how swishy the skirt is, and this is really helped by the lining. The coat didn’t feel half as full-skirted when I only tried the shell on.

I’ll post more details later (lining, buttons, etc.). Whenever I feel like taking more pictures.

(I realize I never share my loom-knitting projects here, but the snood/béret was made about 3 years ago; I have knit one every year, and I have another version in antique mauve, and a super warm version in variegated black-grey-white. This one is definitely showing signs of wear as the weight of the hair ends up stretching the stitches over the years. I’m thinking of knitting another one, in black mohair. I never go out without a hat in the winter, so this black little number has been worn a lot!)

Next up on my sewing list are: a few knit tops, a sofa cover, and a laptop case for Seb.

64 thoughts on “Coat with a Silver Lining

1. Tracy says:

The coat is beautiful, Isabelle! And I like the idea of a happy silvery lining inside a coat! That color is scrumptious…My own new winter wool coat is plum too! :o) Happy Days sewing in London…((HUGS))

2. cidell says:

What a great way to start off life in your new city! I can’t beleive the stories we’re hearing about the snow in London. I hope your pretty new coat keeps you warm for years to come!

3. Reethi says:

What a lovely coat! It looks great on you (I’m sort of your height too, so I’m always interested to see what you make!)Oh, and Biscuit is a shelter cat, so if she’s rare, its completely accidental.

4. Anonymous says:

Hello ma chère Isabelle !Ce manteau est une vraie merveille, bravo ! J’adore la forme, la couleur, et bien sûre cette fameuse doublure …Passe une bonne fin de semaine, sous la neige à ce que je vois …Lisbei

5. brodstitch says:

So pretty!mais je vois que tu as les pieds dans la neige…ah!si tu t’étais “posée” jute de l’autre coté du Channel,sur les rivages du Bessin,tu n’aurais pas pu faire de si charmantes photos :o)Peux tu me donner ton adresse à Londres?

6. Kim Hood says:

Fabulous coat. I hope London is treating you well and you aren’t to horrified at how badly we cope with snow!Miss Cutie will be enjoying her radiator at present – I know my siamese cat Clive certainly is.

7. Jennifer/OH says:

London in the snow! You are there during an historic Winter event. Luckily you have this gorgeous coat to keep you warm. Beautiful work. I also love the beret. I need something like that in an open crochet style to put on my hair at work. The classic gymnastics “pony-tail” is a bit out of date for someone 40+ years old!

8. Anwen says:

Wow, that's stunning, and such fast work! I have that pattern and am incubating the idea of it for next winter, as I hate my coat (it's an ok style but the fabric has pilled uncontrollably – it was cheap at least, but still) and couldn't find anything similar to this pattern in the shops, but I *love* the full-skirted coat look ❤

9. Tany says:

Your coat is a MASTERPIECE and it suits you so well, my dear friend! I love it, and I love the color too!(Thank you for your comment earlier today; in fact I’m not feeling well lately, I’m having terrible headaches and I should rest more. On brighter news, I have a gift package for you ready to be sent since last week; I will try to post it this week, since last week I couldn’t find the time to go to the post office. I hope you like the little surprises inside! (((HUGS))) )