At last, here is my take on the Monique Dress design by Sew Serendipity Studio.
Poppies are my favourite flower, so even though I don’t usually aspire to copy the looks on pattern envelopes, this time I couldn’t resist the gorgeous poppy fabric on one of the models.
I managed to find the fabric online – Big Poppy, a Laura Gunn design, produced by Michael Miller fabrics. There are two slightly different versions, one called Spice with the flowers being a warmer, lighter shade of red, and the other Aqua, which is the one I chose, with poppies in a deeper, cooler red, and a beautiful watercolour-like background.
I don’t usually do large prints because I am so small, but for my spring-summer wardrobe this year
I decided to push my limits a bit and opted for a floral theme; so everything I’ve been making this season is either in a floral print, or in a shade that is flower-oriented. This dress is definitely the pièce de résistance
Copycat or not, I did make some rather substantial changes:
– lowered the bodice by 3 cm, because the waistline looks really high on the models, and Kim confirmed it
– the waistline was still sitting too high up for my taste so I reduced the waistband’s SAs to 5 mm (which added 1 cm each to the top and to the bottom of the waistband) to get the waist cinched in more and therefore more flattering.
– shortened the hem by about 3 cm (“about”, because I eyeballed it).
– deepened the waist darts by over 1 cm.
– The facings seemed dangerously narrow, so I ditched them and lined the bodice in a white cotton. The inside also looks prettier this way. This also allowed me to check the fit on the cheap lining before potentially ruining my fancy print. I love to use linings as muslins: no time or fabric wasted on something I will never wear.
– instead of cutting strips of contrasting fabrics to frame the waistband, I cut the whole waistband into the contrasting fabric.
– I also lined the waistband (in self fabric) for more stability.
Sizes: As usual, I cut a smaller size (XS) at the back and slightly larger (S) at the front. I guess I could have cut a XS all around and do a FBA, which the deeper darts on the larger size ultimately act for.
You can hear more about this dress and this pattern in the third episode of my podcast
(first 23 minutes of the podcast if you don’t want to listen to the rest!). I was hoping to write a full review, but time is short, so I figured a shortened post was better than none at all!
Bottom line is, I love this dress, and look forward to sewing more of Kay Whitt’s designs. 🙂