(16 weeks in these pictures)
I got Simplicity 2580 months before I was pregnant (aside: even though it was very much in the plans, I decided to keep on planning my next projects without taking a possible pregnancy into account, no matter how hoped-for it was – not wanting to jinx things or anything. This explains why my latest
, started not long before the pregnancy, are very fitted, and won’t be wearable for at least another year. I finished them as I was already 2 months along, to the mirth of my younger sister, who suggested I should simply give them to her. ;))
I’d long been attracted to the cowl neckline in view D, and as I was drafting my pregnancy wardrobe plans and looking at my patterns, I thought it would be a good candidate to alter into maternity wear, while still looking good in the years to come.
I made my changes accordingly, i.e. to match the shape and style of this dress.
– What I did to accommodate my growing belly into this initially very fitted dress, is cancel out the taper from thighs to waist, which gave me a rectangle for the skirt. I then gathered the top of the skirt before assembling it to the bodice.
– I didn’t have to raise the waistline, as this is an empire dress to start with.
– I added a tie as in the inspiration picture; I feel this accents this dress (and the belly) in a nice way.
That is all I did as far as alterations are concerned. I cut a size 8 at the back (one size larger than usual, to account for expanding ribcage) and a 10 at the front. I basted everything before doing the actual sewing, but didn’t need to change the fit.
I stitched the hem by hand, for an invisible hem (catching only one strand of fabric for each stitch); but the fabric, a viscose knit from Tissus Reine, is thin, so the stitching shows. Since it is regular, though, I don’t think it matters.
– I love the cowl neck, which is a particular
; I also really liked that the front bodice is very neatly finished, as it is lined upon itself; this really beats the more sloppy finishing of New Look 6470, (i.e. pattern I used in the posts linked just above), where the front top edge is left unfinished.
– What I wish had been different (and what I’ll be altering if I make this again), is that the back, on the other hand, isn’t lined. My fabric being a little on the slim side, and maternity underwear being what it is, it doesn’t make for the smoothest of looks:
Now I was feeling pretty proud with this altered design and with the result; but the funny thing is, as I was browsing patternreview to check links when putting together my wardrobe article, I noticed Trena’s version
. I had admired hers when she made it months ago. Looking at it again, I realized she’d done the same alteration of widening the skirt at the waist to add folds and fullness. Even though I didn’t consciously copy her, it must definitely have stuck in my mind! I guess I hadn’t added two and two together because her dress is long-sleeved, and because the clever way she sewed on the ties makes it closer to the body (so flattering!). The good thing is, it confirmed that this dress should also look good on me in future years.