You can watch the video episode here. I make an announcement regarding the future schedule of the podcast. Also, this is going to be the last audio episode to be put on iTunes.
This is a sewing and quilting-themed episode, with lots of garment sewing tips!
1. A HANDMADE WARDROBE
Simplicity 1360 out of a raspberry cotton jersey, layered under Love’s Promise by “Amanita” Agata Mackiewicz, out of Madelinetosh Pashmina in Dr Zhivago’s Sky.
2. A BIT OF SEWING
- Simplicity 1360 Maternity Dress
- Megan Nielsen’s Perfect Sewing Top/Amber Nursing Top or Dress, out of a light grey dress with large polka dots from Buttinette.
Tips and techniques:
- Why I always stabilise shoulder seams with grosgrain ribbon in knit tops and dresses.
- I explain when and why I prefer PDF patterns, and how I use and store my paper patterns.
- I share how I usually construct dresses, sewing the horizontal seams first so I can do – and alter – the side seams all in one go.
- I also give an easier and more efficient way to attach sleeves in knit garments (this doesn’t apply to woven garments! You do need to ease in the sleeve as per pattern instructions in woven garments).
- I explain how I organise my time at the sewing machine, serger and coverstitch when making a garment, and why a serger is so much more necessary than a coverstitch to a garment sewist.
3. A BIT OF QUILTING
- Coasters out of mini charm packs to practise my piecing and free motion quilting
- Doll quilt to further practise on piecing and free motion quilting.
- I have been making a twin-size quilt for my daughter out of a Moda Jelly Roll – Prairie by Cory Yoder, and have free motion quilted it (stippling).
4. FUTURE PROJECTS
- Baby Quilt out of organic fabric by Robert Kaufman
- Lightweight sleep sacks out of organic cotton jersey, using this tutorial and pattern.
- One or two more nursing dresses for me.
OTHER PODCASTS/FRIENDS MENTIONED
Credits: Music: Piano Sonata in E-flat Major, mvt. 3 by Joseph Haydn, played by Mario Ajero.